Simone was the very first blogging friend I met in real life. It was back in 2010 and, back then, Simone was still living in California. My son was graduating from college in Ventura, so Simone and I decided we should meet face-to-face.
No one in my family felt comfortable with this brilliant idea. And who could blame them? For years, I’d been warning my children about the dangers of talking to strangers, and I’d forbidden them from meeting up with someone they’d only ever met online. “Online relationships aren’t real,” I’d told them, in my most warn-y parent-y voice. “You never know what will happen if you meet up with someone you only know from the internet!”
My daughter (she was seventeen, at the time) said she’d only agree to let me meet up with Simone if H went with me. I think H felt better about that plan, too. So, we hopped in the car and drove a couple of hours to meet with Simone in a restaurant, across from the John Wayne Airport in Orange County. The rest, of course, is history.
By now, we all know the truth: blogging friendships are real friendships. The internet has expanded our communities and introduced us to incredible richness in the Body of Christ. In many ways, God has used the internet, and blogging specifically, to rescue me. He’s used you to rescue me.
I’ve been blogging since 2008 and, in all those years, having met many of you in person, I never cease to be amazed at how beautifully gifted is the Body of Christ. It is truly mind-boggling.
Do you see it? Do you know just how talented you are? Do you realize your significance in the Body of Christ? Do you realize just how much you matter to God? To me?
Well, wherever you fall on the spectrum—whether you know your gifts and you’re ready to use them, or you’re still trying to figure out what you could possibly have to offer—I believe in you. And…I need you!
We’re planning the next experience of JumpingTandem: The Retreat, and it seems God’s big plans have gotten even bigger, which means we have plenty of room for you to join the team! We need volunteers if this next phase of the retreat is going to happen. And that means you!
At first, I was going to make up a list of roles and jobs and skill-sets needed, but it’s clear to me this is God’s idea and it’s best for me not to get in the way. So, instead, we’re issuing an open call for volunteers!
You know your gifts. Or maybe you don’t. Maybe you have no idea what you possibly have to contribute, but you feel a strong urge to volunteer, anyway. Well, whatever your motivation, we want to hear from you. If you’d like to join JumpingTandem: The Team for our 2015 Retreat, now is your chance to apply. And, here’s how:
- Send your application to us at email@example.com. In the subject line, include these words: “Open Call.”
- Submit your application on, or before, May 15, 2015. Please include your first and last name, your social media contact info, your preferred email address, and your blog URL (if you have a blog).
- Subscribe to the retreat website to be sure you’re included in the all the updates, and “Like” the JumpingTandem Retreat page on Facebook.
- Tell us about yourself, and let us know why you want to be part of JumpingTandem: The Team.
- Be creative. The idea is for your personality to come through, so send us an application that reflects who you are. We don’t want to give you too much direction, but you might consider a poem, a letter, a video, a song…
- Be you. We can’t emphasize this one enough. Just be yourself.
- Have fun!
We look forward to hearing from you. We are confident God has something fun and incredible in store for 2015, and beyond, and we can’t wait to see and hear from you, with your thoughts about why you’d like to join us for the ride!